Whatcom-Skagit Housing is a private non-profit corporation funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (through Rural Development) to assist limited income families interested in building their own homes. Self-Help Housing services are free to our clients and include:
- Formation of building groups of 7-10 families who will be working on the construction of each other’s homes.
- Assistance in applying for a 502 Rural Housing Loan from Rural Development.
- Provision of fully serviced, builder ready lots.
- 3, 4, and 5 bedroom one and two story house plans.
- Assistance in selection of subcontractors.
- Building account management and construction budgeting.
- Instructions are given during every phase of the construction process.